The first season of Pennyworth began airing in the United States July 28, 2019 on TV network Epix. The season is set in the 1960s London, before Bruce Wayne is born. In Canada, the series premiered on Showcase on September 4, 2019, six weeks behind the Epix schedule. Sometime later, the serie then received its UK premiere on StarzPlay on Friday, October 25, 2019. It will be followed by Season 2 premiering on December 13, 2020.
Premise[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Main cast[edit | edit source]
Recurring cast[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
Episode List[edit | edit source]
|This series debuts with the introduction of Alfred Pennyworth, a young man just out of the English air service and at loose ends, endeavoring to start ...||July 28, 2019||1X01|
The Landlord's Daughter
|Alfred (Jack Bannon) turns down an offer from billionaire businessman Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge), and instead accepts an assignment that positions him in the crosshairs of one of the East End's most dastardly figures.||August 4, 2019||1X02|
|Alfred (Jack Bannon) accepts an assignment from photojournalist Martha Kane (Emma Paetz) that turns increasingly dangerous.||August 11, 2019||1X03|
|Alfred (Jack Bannon) and Martha Kane (Emma Paetz) take a train ride into the countryside on an assignment, while tragedy strikes in London.||August 11, 2019||1X04|
|John Ripper presents Alfred (Jack Bannon) with an offer; meanwhile, Lord Harwood's (Jason Flemyng) fate takes a curious turn.||August 18, 2019||1X05|
|Martha and Patricia Wayne attend a debauched party with famed magician Aleister Crowley.||August 25, 2019||1X06|
|While Martha and Thomas confront Crowley over his strange party and the return of Patricia, Alfred and the lads track down the identity of a wanted killer.||September 8, 2019||1X07|
|While Lord Harwood returns to take control of the Raven Society, Alfred, Dave Boy and Bazza form an unlikely alliance with the Sykes Sisters.||September 15, 2019||1X08|
|Alfred, Thomas and Martha become entangled in an assassination plot against Lord Harwood.||September 22, 2019||1X09|
|After a member of the British royalty is abducted, Alfred must take a side in the struggle. Meanwhile, Lord Harwood uses those closest to Alfred to remove him from the game.||September 29, 2019||1X10|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On May 16, 2018, it was announced that Epix had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The pilot episode was expected to be written by Bruno Heller and directed by Danny Cannon, both of whom were also set to executive produce the series. Production companies that were slated to be involved with the series include Warner Horizon Television.
- The first season is a complete story, but every episode of Pennyworth is stand alone.
- Executive producer Danny Cannon revealed the series is essentially a prequel to the FOX series Gotham.
- Differences in timeline's and version's of Alfred and Thomas Wayne's meeting, however, prompt the idea that the two exist in two different universes.
- Principal photography for the series commenced on October 22, 2018 at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden in Leavesden, Hertfordshire, England.
- Additionally, a number of shots were taken in London, including selecting the landmark building Florin Court as the home and neighbourhood of one of the series lead characters.
- Various scenes were filmed at the Dockyard Chatham in Kent, where the streets stood in for East London in the 1960s.Principal photography for the series wrapped on May 24, 2019.
- On December 15, 2020, Emma Paetz revealed that prior to the Covid-19 global pandemic, there was this one instance where she and Ben, fully in costume, were walking to set. They were solost in conversation, that as they walked down the street and into a cafe, they didn't realize they were still in their 60's costumes. Paetz goes onto say that everyone looked at them weirdly because they stuck out.
- On December 19, 2020, Emma Paetz revealed in an interview with TV Line that when she first signed on, she had only read Episodes 1-2-3-4 of Season 1, so she didn’t know where Martha was going to go.
- On December 23,2020, Jack Bannon in an interview with Culturess, mentioned having seen Emma Corrin, who played Esme in season one on The Crown as Princess Diana. He found her to be phenomenal in the role, but admitted to missing her being on Pennyworth.
Media[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Promotional[edit | edit source]
Conventions[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Pennyworth on Showcase
- StarzPlay Sets UK Premiere Date For ‘Pennyworth’; Releases Trailer & Key Art - TV Wise
- "Batman Prequel ‘Pennyworth’ From ‘Gotham’ Duo Gets Series Order At Epix" - Deadline Hollywood
- "‘Pennyworth’: Jack Bannon To Star In Title Alfred Role On Epix’s Batman Prequel" - Deadline Hollywood
- "‘Pennyworth’: Ben Aldridge To Play Thomas Wayne In Batman Prequel On Epix" - Deadline Hollywood
- "‘Pennyworth’: Ryan Fletcher & Hainsley Lloyd Bennett Set As Regulars In Batman Prequel On Epix" - Deadline Hollywood
- "UK Pop Star Paloma Faith Cast As ‘Pennyworth’ Villainess In Epix’s Batman Prequel" - Deadline Hollywood
- "Epix Batman Prequel ‘Pennyworth’ Adds Jason Flemyng As Villain" - Deadline Hollywood
- "‘Gotham’ EP Danny Cannon Teases Batman Prequel Series ‘Pennyworth’ – TCA" - Deadline Hollywood
- ‘Batman’ Prequel ‘Pennyworth’ Lands Series Order at Epix - Variety
- ‘Gotham’ EP Danny Cannon Teases Batman Prequel Series ‘Pennyworth’ – TCA - Deadline
- Pennyworth Batman Pre-Prequel Gets Epix Premiere Date, New Teaser - TVLine
- SDCC 2019: He’s Not the Alfred You Know at PENNYWORTH Panel
- ‘Pennyworth’: Jack Bannon To Star In Title Alfred Role On Epix’s Batman Prequel - Deadline
- London What’s Filming: Batman Prequel Series Pennyworth -Backstage UK
- Pennyworth Series 1 (2019) - Kent Film Office
- Pennyworth’s Ben Aldridge and Emma Paetz once walked into a cafe in their period costumes - Yahoo News
- Pennyworth's Emma Paetz Talks Unexpected Alliance, That Bat-baby Obstacle and a, Um, Revealing Fight - TV Line
- Pennyworth: Jack Bannon says that Alfred “sees a lot of himself in Captain Gully Troy” - Culturess